Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A long sought for name...The Lincoln Sparrow



For my fellow birders...

My early youth was devoted to the study of ornithology. From a very early age I started observing a particular bird with a most unusual flight habit. I noticed that when I walked towards a bush with this bird it would flesh instantly and fly just past the next bush a short distance,flip around in an in a very quick motion and dive back into the bush. I have never seen this peculiar movement in any other bird. For many years, I tried to ambush this bird to get a better look at it but was unsuccessful due to it's elusive nature and my poor long distance vision.

One day when Andy Sanders, the Curator of the UCR Herbarium and a long time friend, came to visit me he had opportunity to see this bird and was able to identify it immediately as a Lincoln Sparrow, a solitary bird in the same genus as the song sparrow. This was a great pleasure to me since I finally had a name for the bird that had eluded my identification since I was a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment